TPM Not Found After OSD

Today I experienced something frustrating. After applying OSD on some new hardware I attempted to enable BitLocker (TPM+PIN Configuration). To my surprise I received an error that a valid TPM could not be found. Here is my experience and methodology for troubleshooting a missing TPM.

(1) Check WMI
Using Powershell:

Get-WmiObject Win32_TPM -Namespace root/cimv2/security/MicrosoftTPM | Select IsActivated_InitialValue, IsEnabled_InitialValue, IsOwned_InitialValue | Format-List

Usually you’d see something like this:

IsActivated_InitialValue : True
IsEnabled_InitialValue   : True
IsOwned_InitialValue     : True

(2) Check TPM MMC Console
If and when WMI is blank I move on to the TPM MMC console snap-in (tpm.msc).

(3) Check BIOS
At this point I’ve determined the TPM isn’t visible to the Operating System; It happens! On most BIOS you’ll have settings whether or not the Operating System can see and/or manage the TPM Device. Boot into the BIOS, look for a security section and check the TPM Status. In my instance this looked good! TPM was listed as Enabled and Activated. I rebooted back to the OS, repeated steps 1 and 2…both still with the same result.

(4) Vendor Software
When it comes to using vendor-provided installers/software/executables to install drivers, I typically have one rule: I DON’T! In my experience (Dell, Lenovo, HP, Samsung, MS Surface) Plug-n-Play will identify and capture 99% of the hardware without the necessity to install the vendor’s software. In this instance this was an Infineon TPM device so I grabbed the driver CD, extracted and ran. Unless absolutely necessary, I’ll usually use the software to install only the driver where possible. A lot of driver installations will also provide an application that tromps over the built in Windows functions with their own; Bloatware, Crapware…call it what you want, I find it extremely unnecessary. The most infuriating being the old “HP Wireless Assistant” which was a clunky “remix” of Windows’ normal Wireless Connection Menu and tray icon–I found this to be slow, clunky, and down right unnecessary!

Back to the TPM…I launched the “Infineon TPM Professional Package”. I select custom install hoping to see “Driver”. Instead I see a bunch of extra stuff I don’t need and when I went to tell the installer to “not install” a component, I saw this wasn’t an option…It would appear that in order to get an Infineon TPM device seen to the OS, I have to use their crappy application to “manage and control” it. Not gonna happen!

As I contemplated what to do next I eventually did what I probably should have done at step (1)…

Check Device Manager
Usually, device manger would show a TPM device under the “security” category as seen:

TPM_devmgmt_cropped

 

 

Unfortunately, not found! I then started digging in Device Manager and eventually stumbled across “Infineon Trusted Platform Module” under “System Devices”. That explains why the TPM MMC couldn’t find it!

TPM_inSYS

Right-Click -> Uninstall (making sure to check “Delete the driver software for this device”.

uninstallTPM

Richt-Click –> “Scan for Hardware Changes”

Just like magic, the TPM was detected and placed in the “Security Devices” category. TPM.msc detected it. BitLocker was enabled and there was much rejoicing. I then removed the “tpm driver” from the Driver Package, updated distribution points and all was well!

 

My hope is that this will save some of you from additional headaches if this comes up in your OSD world.

 

Enjoy!

Advertisements

One thought on “TPM Not Found After OSD

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s